Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] Need to Discuss Online Accessibility/ADA Compliance for Interactions

Thanks, Eliot.

I'll add this to our agenda for Tuesday.

Have a great day,

AS email signature

-----Original Message-----
From: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Eliot Kimber
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 8:55 AM
To: DITA Learning Spec list

A friend of mine is a professor at UT and he was talking today about concerns one of his colleagues has about an online assessment service they're evaluating, in particular whether or not the interactions that use drag and drop are complaint with the U.S. ADA rules (503.c).

Just as for DITA tables, I think we need to make sure that interaction markup provides whatever is needed to enable accessible presentation of interactions and for those that use, or would be expected to use, drag and drop that we can describe how those interactions can be presented in an accessible way, in particular for the visually impaired.

In particular, Birgit's new interactions include interaction types that could present accessibility challenges. I think we need to at least show that we've thought about the issue and have an answer.

I don't know what the regulations are in Europe but I'm guess that there is something comparable to the U.S. Americans with Disabilities Act that requires that online delivery of information from government agencies be accessible, which certainly includes public schools in the U.S.

I don't think this came up before because none of the DITA 1.2/1.3 assessments presume or require any type of interaction beyond selection. Even matching can be done in a textual way.

But our new interaction types are much more graphical and interactive.

Cheers,

Eliot

--

Eliot Kimber