Subject: RE: [dita-lightweight-dita] My intro for the list

As a consultant I've been working with DITA since 2006. My roots with markup languages actually antedates SGML, which is inexplicable given how young I am.

My interest in lightweight DITA derives largely from an experience with one client over several years. We set out to implement a 'center of excellence' within a department. The project was put on hold several times, and cancelled twice, due to budget cuts, a merger, reductions in staff, and reorganizations. The actual implementation evolved into a fully functional (if rather minimal) DITA implementation supporting all of three tech writers.

I'm also interested in specialization, particularly why some organizations see only complexity and thus fall short of an optimal DITA implementation. Perception matters greatly.

More peripheral to this subcommittee is my interest in translation and localization of DITA content. I'm currently co-editor of the XLIFF spec, with primary responsibility for maintaining the schema files.

Tom Comerford
tom@supratext.com

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/tomcomerford

+1 856 787 9090