Subject: RE: [dita-lightweight-dita] My intro for the list

Hi Folks

I am CTO at Bluestream makers of XDocs (DITA CMS) and I participate on the
product planning committee here at Bluestream.
My background is in data modeling and database internals.  In early 2000 we
wrote an XML database and I was involved with the XQuery working group then.
My involvement with docs started when I worked on a publish engine in the
early 80s.
My interest in lightweight dita revolves around:
- requirements for simplicity from non tech pubs authors.
- demand for simpler web based editors.
- the round trip problem.  To what extent can you allow editing of full
marked up tech pubs DITA in a less involved environment.
- some common themes I track like - what makes something simple or "easy" is
also applicable.
- Some of our customers say "give us Word like UX" - but office xml has a
5000 page spec.  So the spec is not simple, but the user experience is -
according to customers.

Sometimes I think the idea of lightweight DITA is not workable - but I think
we do need to look at this.

cheers
Jim