Subject: JSON/DITA relationship

Michael brought up the relationship of DITA with JSON for some uses. I mentioned a db based on JSON but was not sure which one. The No-Sequel database based on JSON is CouchDB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchDB
Exist DB and BaseX are both solidly XML based but have efficient serializers:
http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/wiki/blogs/eXist/JSONSerializer
http://docs.basex.org/wiki/JSON_Module

I reiterated that making use of JSON for holding DITA-sourced metadata for use in interactive content (holding answer keys for example) or pulling into dynamic navigation is natural and should be investigated.

That said, I think the main use case for JSON/XML interoperation is more in the Big Data services, and less so for Web Content. There is a growing trend among JS enthusiasts to demonstrate how entire Web experiences can be built on little more than a <div> upon which to kick off some Ajax services and pull in the rest of the representation dynamically using just the HTML5 Chrome layer for rendering. No. Discernable. Markup. Or. DOM. We'll need to be watchful as we start off that the accepted JSON use cases are within the realm of enriching the user experience with a presumed DOM. All this means is, "If you can edit it in the browser, it's probably in scope."

--
Don R. Day
Founding Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee