Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Full DITA compatibility

Hi Joe,

Replies:

...Of course in other cases (the majority of DITA for Publishers users
> I would guess), the specialized nested topics would be expected to
> contribute to the navigational hierarchy, so as ever it comes down to the
> individual implementation.

I think that having users set whether a title is a title for nav or not is
a simple work-around. Although that doesn't really fit well semantically
into @chunk (not that @chunks is particularly clear or straight-forward at
the moment. @chunk=to-self could turn on titles in nav? I'm just riffing
here).

> This is where dealing with larger chunk sizes (i.e. allowing nested
> topics) can improve usability. Within a given CMS object / file, if you're
> able to create and remove headings as you need, it's a lot easier than
> having to create a bunch of separate single-topic storage objects. Of
> course the tradeoff is that you can't then easily reorder the nested
> topics to suit a particular output context. For all practical purposes,
> you're stuck with the order you authored it in originally. Sometimes
> that's fine; other times more granularity is needed.

There's no problem with reordering nested topics provided the parent topic
content doesn't move:

<topic>
  <topic>topic1</topic>
  <topic>topic2
    <topic>topic2a</topic>
  </topic>
  <topic>topic3</topic>
</topic>

You can move all 4 child topics around as much as you want, it's just that
the body can't move. I'm doing this in a project today. It's more or less
painful depending on the editor.

--
Noz Urbina
Content Strategist and Founder, UrbinaConsulting.com

Author, "Content Strategy: Connecting the dots between, business, brand,
and benefits" http://thecontentstrategybook.com