Subject: LW DITA and learning / education content

Dear LW DITA SC and DITA L&T members -

Carlos Evia, Amber Swope, Scott Hudson and I have been meeting occasionally over the last several months to discuss LW DITA and use cases for learning, training, and education.

While we haven't covered all of the use cases we identified, we've reached the point where we do have some patterns to share in terms of content types and authoring needs, and some insights to the level of support we need for content in the existing DITA Learning and Training topics, maps, and domains.

We've discussed use cases for K-12 teachers and students, for higher ed professors and teaching assistants, and for corporate training roles.

Content types
Here's the set of content types across these use cases.
Authoring tools
Here's the set of authoring tools / technologies currently in use to create and deliver this content:
For higher-ed specifically -
DITA 1.2 L&T components - which do we need to support?
Finally, here's my take on the set of existing DITA 1.2/1.3 L&T components and priorities for support them in LW DITA.

Topic types
Maps
Question-Answer Interactions domain
The interactions domain has gotten the most use and interest. We need to determine an approach for addressing this in LW DITA.
Here's the set of 1.2/1/3 interaction types:

Common topic elements
Here's the elements used in common across the Overview, Content, and Summary topics. The most important need is support for lcObjectives. Of the other elements, all except lcDuration are generic specializations of section (in other words, they're section with a new element name - so perfect fit for an LW DITA section).Learning Metadata Domain
DITA 1.2 also includes a learning data domain, which provides a subset of the learning object metadata elements. I am not aware of any use of these elements, but if we need any of them, we can include them as an optional domain.

LRMI and Schema.org...
On learning metadata more generally and K-12 specifically, we may want to track the activities around the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI) and the Google schema.org initiative. LRMI has sponsorship from the US Dept of Ed, and uses extensions to schema.org as way to inject learning metadata into web pages. We could certainly use DITA subjectscheme classifications to inject schema.org markup into an HTML page.

See https://developers.google.com/structured-data/schema-organd http://www.lrmi.net/.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

For interested members of the L&T SC - please consider joining the LW DITA SC and discussions.

Thanks.

John
John Hunt
Senior Technical Content Architect
IBM Enterprise Social Solutions | User Experience: Design and Information Excellence