Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] LW DITA DTDs updated

Hi Birgit,

The reason we avoid W3C XML Schema, especially for standards purposes, is that because the XML Schema redefine feature (which we use) is defined in an ambiguous way. See this by Eliot Kimber:

http://www.xiruss.org/tutorials/dita-specialization/body/part-config-and-extend/dtd-or-xsd.html

And actually, the official schema for DITA is RelaxNG as of a year or so ago, but I think we are using DTDs in the beginning here for preliminary work on LW DITA because most of us are familiar with it and it's easy.

Regards,
Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/