Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] LW DITA DTDs - adding <fig>

Web pages commonly use blockquotes for artful text quips (pull quotes, ie conrefs from the marketing/news narrative, in effect) as well as for lengthy quotes used in the usual research/context manner. Web themes usually provide a theme-specific CSS class value that manages the visual distinction. Via Lightweight DITA, authors could use an easy way to "clone elements for a new semantic role" to handle that need with improved components.

But in general, it's hard to say what ought *not* be allowed inside fig. If there is no cost to leaving them in, I'm inclined to allow more things, not less. My reasoning is that fig's payload (the part that an editor would expose as a typed field) is the same as the body field, hence an implementation could call for the same datatype handling in both editing cases. If you restrict what one field can have, then your implementation must support "fig field" content interfaces vs "body field" interfaces. In standard, schema-driven editors, these field definitions ultimately go back to PCDATA, timestamps, and other typed data primitives. Lightweight editors necessarily focus on the more narrative chunks of content, hence having fewer narrative data types helps to lower the cost of implementation. This long reasoning hearkens back to identifying what a common "para block" data-type requires and in what places that block may be allowed (body, li, lq, section, fig, note, etc. all come to mind as being basically the same).
--
Don