Subject: Refactoring HDITA with custom tags

Apologies (in advance) but I won't make it to the 05/16 call. Continuing the conversation about refactoring HDITA, I wonder how much mixing of HTML5 custom tags (Don's proposal) and custom data attributes (Michael's original approach) we should keep. I have been experimenting with Don's approach to extend HTML5's native elements to mimic XDITA/DITA tags, and I really think we should explore that as HDITA's evolution path. It makes authoring much easier than having to remember the data attributes.
I compare here both approaches with the proto-example included in the Technical Communication paper I wrote with Michael:

Current HDITA model (based on Michael's 2014 idea)

<article data-hd-class="task">
<h1>How to do something</h1>
<section data-hd-class="task/context">
</section>
<section data-hd-class="task/steps-informal">
<ol>
</ol>
</section>
<section data-hd-class="topic/example">
</section>
</article>

My aberrant take on Don's proposed use of custom tags:

<article-task>
<h1>How to do something</h1>
<section-context>
</section-context>
<section-steps>
<ol>
</ol>
</section-steps>
<section-example>
</section-example>
</article-task>

Is there a third way that combines both approaches? What would we gain? Right now, moving to custom tags will only break a) my former students' projects, and b) Jarno's HDITA plug-in (which was pretty much his experimental contribution to our DITA NA presentation this year).
If this is a good idea, we (I) can work on re-mapping HDITA and new examples.... and then we can move on to the headache of MarkDITA, MDITA or however we want to call the Markdown flavor of Lightweight DITA.

Comments?
---
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.
Director of Professional and Technical Writing
Associate Professor of Technical Communication
Department of English
Center for Human-Computer Interaction
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0112