Subject: RE: [dita-lightweight-dita] Notes in Lightweight DITA

We modified this proposal slightly during discussion - the new proposal is as follows:

1. Add <note> as a new block-level element, available in all block contexts

2. Set its type attribute to be optional, and allow only the following values: caution, warning, danger, trouble, notice
If no value is set, then it will default to standard note processing. We decided this was preferable to providing an explicit "note" value, because it made it easier to create a simple note element with no attribute value using a plain editor.

4. Set its content model to simple-blocks, which is to be the new common model for elements in table cells, notes, and footnotes, per my previous note on fn.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Enterprise Content Technology Strategist
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/michael-priestley

From:        Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
To:        Ullakaisa Kalander <Ullakaisa.Kalander@citec.com>
Cc:        "dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        05/10/2016 10:12 AM
Sent by:        <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

OK so I think we've got pretty clear direction on using the existing <note> element from full DITA, with some constraints.

I'll propose:

element name: note
type attribute:
caution, warning, danger, trouble, notice, note (default)
content model: same as table-blocks:

<!ENTITY % table-blocks  "p|ul|ol|dl|pre|audio|video">

If we agree with this, do we need to rename table-blocks to something like simple-blocks to make it more generic?

I've added an explicit "note" value for the type attribute, rather than having the "note" type value be implied by no selection, because I recalled that it in some editors it's hard to get back to no selection once something is selected - so if someone wanted to change from "notice" to "note", for example, they'd need an explicit "note" value to select. This was a while ago though and I'm open to getting rid of it if there's no editor concerns.