Subject: SC consideration about Asciidoc vs Markdown

Down the road, this Subcommittee is likely to be asked, What did we think about the dark horse format, Asciidoc? A key benefit is its designed allowance of metadata that has required workarounds for Markdown. A downside is that it is a relative newcomer in the field, but the growing interest in it portends its potential to overtake Markdown.

This podcast is an interesting listen for a backgrounder on the origins and trajectory of this particular lightweight markup approach. The web page has links to more info about Asciidoc itself.

http://freethegeek.fm/episode/episode-0021

I broach this as a subject line mainly for ensuring we have given it due diligence and can later point to a decision with justification.

--
Don R. Day
Founding Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee (current version: DITA 1.3)

Avast logo