Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Does <data> need @href?

(Let's begin with my usual caveat about my years of focus on full DITA rather than lightweight, and then...)

The href attribute is pretty commonly used on <data> elements, with fairly straightforward use cases -- it either tells where the piece of metadata came from, or where to go to find more of it.

For example, I regularly seem to write sample topics about puffins. Anything based on a surprising fact from our favorite fact source might be tagged:
<data name="source" value="wikipedia" href="">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffin"/>

For the few not writing about puffins, href really is the more semantic choice if you're trying to reference anything outside of the topic:
<prolog>
<data name="changelog" href="">http://example.com/changes-to-this-topic.log"/>
<data name="previous-version" href="">http://example.com/versionX.log"/>
<data name="from-collection" href="">
</prolog>

Obviously with that sample, those are pairs, so you could use name + value. But if you were doing it in full DITA, and used @value for a reference like that, I think a lot of people would be shaking their heads and wondering why.

Anyway, if you're already going to have <data> available already this seems to be a pretty common use case for both full and LwDITA.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Carlos Evia ---03/31/2017 08:30:56 AM---Dear all, I agree with Alan. Let's make this an agenda item fCarlos Evia ---03/31/2017 08:30:56 AM---Dear all, I agree with Alan. Let's make this an agenda item for Monday's meeting.