Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Promised rewrite

I like the content, and trying to see where it can be integrated into the existing committee note.

Best,
Kris

Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

On 5/29/2017 10:29 AM, Michael Priestley wrote:
I think there's still a paragraph or two needed to really focus on the why, rather than the what and how - maybe something like:

Why Lightweight DITA?

1 Full DITA seen as too complex for some scenarios

DITA is a mature architecture with a deep set of features supported by a broad range of tools. This same maturity can be intimidating for those considering adoption, especially for simple scenarios. While lightweight versions of DITA exist, they are primarily vendor-developed - a standardized lightweight entry point allows the DITA community to offer a common starting point for simple DITA scenarios that remains fully compatible with full DITA solutions.

2 XML not accepted as an authoring platform by some communities

Some authoring communities have strong ties to specific authoring formats, such as Markdown. While these alternative formats do not always have the same expressiveness as XML, they bring with them a set of tools and practices that can be a natural fit with a DITA ecosystem, if we can define a lower-function level of interchange. Lightweight DITA can provide this mapping, and become the first version of DITA to be truly cross-format - allowing authoring and delivery in a mix of native formats all mapped to a common semantic standard.

How we approached the problem

We identified some key authoring communities that were interested in the benefits that Lightweight DITA could provide, and mapped out some scenarios including cross-format authoring and reuse. Lightweight DITA represents the common denomenator for functionality needed by interested parties in the following authoring communities: learning and training, SME-authored software documentation, and marketing content.