Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Mapping of definition list entries from xdita to/from hdita

Personally - I think your approach is fine as long as we're careful about what words we use when we talk about equivalence. Which can be tricky.

It's accurate to say today that they are functionally equivalent. Anything you need to do in one, you can do in the other:

So basically ... you have all the same options. The only thing you *don't* have is exact / automatic markup equivalence that enables round tripping. As I understood it in our meeting some weeks ago, that was the reason for encoding rules like these -- so that in theory, you could round trip.

All that said ... and again, my opinion ... for the committee note I'm completely on board with your approach -- <dlentry> cannot be mapped to HTML, but attributes can be preserved if needed with custom data attributes. Assuming we want those standardized, the LwDITA spec itself -- which again, isn't this document, and comes later -- can lay out specifically what those custom attributes are.

Make sense?

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Carlos Evia ---09/18/2017 08:10:45 PM---Oh my... I am going to owe you more than one edible arrangemeCarlos Evia ---09/18/2017 08:10:45 PM---Oh my... I am going to owe you more than one edible arrangement for this. This is quite the complica

From: Carlos Evia <cevia@vt.edu>
To: Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>
Cc: dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 09/18/2017 08:10 PM
Sent by: <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Oh my... I am going to owe you more than one edible arrangement for this.
This is quite the complicate attribute soup.
I am tempted, for the purpose of this introductory committee note, to say that the XDITA <dlentry> cannot be mapped directly in HDITA, but with a footnote (enter your own joke about fnref here) saying that this could be accomplished with custom data attributes if truly needed.
Acceptable?

Carlos

--
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.
Director of Professional and Technical Writing