Subject: Inconsistencies Between LwDITA Committee Note and Sample Code

Hello everyone:

Over the weekend I was working on building some MDITA Extended code samples that utilize keyrefs, and I noticed that there appear to be some inconsistencies within the Committee Note and in the code samples that accompany it. Here are the main differences and where they occur:

  1. In "5.4.4 Cross-format example: MDITA topic" the sample code includes: "[product-name]" to represent the keyref in the body of the topic.
  2. In Appendix A.1, under the MDITA column for "Key definition", we get "MDITA (extended profile) <div dataclass="keydef"> in HDITA syntax" instead.
  3. In the product-specs.md sample file (which uses HDITA syntax), we get "<span data-keyref="product-name" />". And the remotelighting.ditamap example file (which uses XDITA) uses the following for setting the product-name value:

  <keydef keys="product-name">
  <topicmeta>
    <linktext>Remote Lighting Network</linktext>
  </topicmeta>
  </keydef>

The first two examples don't seem to mesh with each other. And the second example only exists in the Appendix, and doesn't seem to go with example code in the third bullet point.

In previous discussions I had with Carlos, there was previously a "pure" Markdown way of setting keydefs and keyrefs, which is hinted at in #1, but the sample MDITA map does not show how the key definition is set. (In an earlier draft of the CN, there is a note from Carlos saying that this should be added, but I think that got overlooked).

So what is the correct way for setting and using keys in MDITA?

Cheers!

-

Keith Schengili-Roberts
Market Researcher and DITA Evangelist

IXIASOFT
825 Querbes, Suite 200, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H2V 3X1
tel  + 1 514 279-4942  /  toll free + 1 877 279-4942