Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] How to link to a section in MDITA?

Linking within a topic is a pretty important feature, so I think we should consider this for the future spec.

We will try embedding the HDITA for now.

Thanks,

--Scott

From: Carlos Evia <cevia@vt.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 8:17 AM
To: Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@jeppesen.com>
Cc: "dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Scott,

You cannot assign specific @id values to sections in MDITA core. We flirted with the idea of using Pandoc-like identifiers. Example: ## My section {#nice-section} but that was complicated for processors based on GitHub-Flavored Markdown.

You could impose a section id with an HDITA snippet <section id="blah">, but the solution (briefly mentioned in the committee note; page 19 of the PDF version) is that in MDITA titles will be "slugified" (a header without an explicitly specified identifier will be automatically assigned a unique identifier based on the header text). We will expand that in the spec... but that's the answer for now.

I hope it helps!

Carlos

--

Carlos Evia, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Technical Communication

Virginia Tech

Blacksburg, VA 24061-0112

(540)200-8201