Subject: Questions from Simply XML

Dear LwDITA SC members,

I asked Doug Gorman for permission to share his questions about LwDITA so we can discuss in a call.
Here they are:
---

This is a strong opportunity for us and we have spent the last week or so working on Simple Table and other issues. With a focus outside of Tech Pubs, most of our DITA customers use only DITA Topic and DITA Map rather than the other structures. The biggest issue relative to Lightweight DITA has been that our current customer base uses more complex tables for their content.

Iâve copied the people I know who are involved in various LW DITA Committees. We would be pleased if you point out any misunderstandings that we may have or comment on what appear to us to be the following issues:

  1. Our broad Simply DITA Schema is valid under DITA 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3. We see that some of our functionality needs to vary depending on which DITA Schema we are validating against. The use of Navtitle is one of those.
  2. In Lightweight DITA Topics we do not currently support Alttext or Description. These appear to be MS Word limitations. We can imagine work-arounds in a real customer situation if this is critical.
  3. In Lightweight DITA Maps we do not support KeyDef, Data, Phrase, or Inline elements. It would be helpful to have some background here. For example, would inline elements like bold be applied only to the Map Title
  4. We notice that the DOTK Markdown converter does not like paragraphs in simple table or definition list entries. Is this something youâre aware of, or should we flag it as a bug?
  5. There is no mention of processing instructions that we have seen. Are these still allowed in Lightweight DITA? We assume the answer is yes.
Best,

Carlos

--Â
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.