Subject: A Possible Solution to the Absence of note in Markdown

While checking some of the Markdown references in the revised Committee Note, I noticed that at least two of the specifications were using special formatting for what we would call <note>.

Markdown Extra uses: **Note:**

...which can be seen in their draft spec at the Markdown code level here: https://michelf.ca/specs/markdown-extra/index.text. That same notation is used on the DaringFireball Markdown listing (webpage: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax, source: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax.text).

If we want to do further cherry picking, DocFX Flavored Markdown actually specifies how to use note, including warning /important/caution statements here: https://dotnet.github.io/docfx/spec/docfx_flavored_markdown.html?tabs=tabid-1%2Ctabid-a#note-warningtipimportant where they  use: [!NOTE] and [!WARNING] (and though not explicitly mentioned, presumably [!IMPORTANT] and [!CAUTION]).

Render Markdown just uses the word "Note" at the beginning of a line: https://leebyron.com/spec-md/#sec-Note

I mention these as possible options in case we want to tackle the absence of the equivalent of <note> in MDITA extended.

Cheers!

-

Keith Schengili-Roberts
Market Researcher and DITA Evangelist

IXIASOFT
825 Querbes, Suite 200, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H2V 3X1
tel  + 1 514 279-4942  /  toll free + 1 877 279-4942