Subject: Mapping HTML/Markdown components that do not exist in DITA

DearÂLwDITA subcommittee,

I have an item for ourÂNov 23 call:
PatrickÂBosek emailed me asking what is the LwDITA standard approach for processing HTML/Markdown elements or components that do not exist in DITA or XDITA (e.g. <h3>, <h4>).
I remember that we were aware of this and decided to save the official discussion for later. Now it's later ;-)
Here's what I wrote about it last year:
"Because the HDITA content components represent a subset of all the available elements in the HTML5 standard, not all tags that are valid HTML5 are allowed in HDITA (e.g., thereâs no <h3> element to express a level-three head- ing in HDITA, although it exists in the HTML5 standard). That means that including an HTML5 element that is not allowed in HDITA, like <aside> or <details>, would produce a validation error in LwDITA-aware tools. One of the greater challenges to the Lightweight DITA subcommittee, as it develops the LwDITA technical specification, is to define how LwDITA tools should handle the presence of non-LwDITA HTML5 tags."
The same applies to MDITA, and I included the following promise: "The Lightweight DITA subcommittee at OASIS is, as of this writing, working on recommendations for handling instances of non-MDITA Markdown structures in MDITA core profile."

So... let's talk about it this coming Monday.

Best,

CarlosÂ

--Â
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.
Professor
College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0112
(540)200-8201