Subject: Summary of points I raised in today's LwDITA subcommittee call

I don't know who was taking minutes, but I thought it might be useful if I reiterated some of the points that I raised in today's LwDITA subcommittee call:

If the LwDITA subcommittee wants to continue to exist

The DITA TC has requirements for subcommittees. Specifically, subcommittees need to:

The DITA TC requirements for subcommittees are outlined in a document (attached), which the DITA TC developed and approved back in 2016-2017.

I realize that subcommittee members want to discuss whether they think this is feasible. If folks want the subcommittee to remain in existence, I'd like to see someone committing to the following by the end of the 2021 calendar year:

Options for the subcommittee to finalize their work on LwDITA

Obviously, if the subcommittee wants to continue to be involved collectively in defining LwDITA, the subcommittee needs to continue to exist.

What the TC considers viable options for finalizing the LwDITA work

The TC has discussed the following options:

  1. Releasing LwDITA in conjunction with DITA 2.0 as a merged specification (suggested by Carlos)
  2. Updating the existing LwDITA committee note
  3. (Post DITA 2.0) Publishing the current LwDITA spec work (edited as necessary) as an OASIS draft committee specification. The DITA TC would then probably leave the document at this state in the OASIS process.

The conclusions of the TC were:

Recommendations to members of the LwDITA subcommittee

I recommended that members of the subcommittee focus on whether they can keep the subcommittee afloat.

Ultimately, of course, decisions about what the DITA TC publishes are made by the TC.

--
Best,
Kris