dita-machine-industry message

Subject: Regret notice

Hi,
I cannot participate in todays meeting.

With reference to Kelds mail below: As I have understood it RDS is a system where you can identify and reference an unique physical object (from 3 topological aspects) within, for example, a power plant. This means that you can build a representation of the plant as a hierarchy of objects (and the relations between objects?). I can see a need to be able to categorize what objects a topic is related to/describes. This is needed for filtering or retrieval purposes.

The new subject scheme feature in DITA 1.2 could be used to address this issue (as you see I'm a big fan of this feature).  Each unique object in the RDS is "registered" as a subject in the scheme map. Then the RDS for a specific plant could be seen as a taxonomy. Further more a classification map could be used to relate DITA topics the a subject with in the scheme.

One problem with the subject scheme feature of DITA 1.2, as I see it, is the fact that you can classify a DITA topic using the topicmeta part and then do the same thing using a subject scheme, where there are no coordination. In fact you can state one thing in the topicmeta, but state contradictory data in your classification map.

We surely need to look into this from our work group. The subject scheme feature is primarely intended to define ENUMs to not hardcode them in a DTD, but the sheme can also be used to represent the subjects a topic is describing, for example parts or objects/products in a machine or plant. I'm planning to give some more input which is also related to the ditatoctemp proposal and the filtering proposal.
Br,
Jonatan

From: Keld Jellesen [keld.jellesen@advice2u.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:47 PM
To: christian.kravogel@seicodyne.ch; dita-machine-industry@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [dita-machine-industry] Groups - DITA Machine Industry SC Meeting modified

I thing we need to address a RDS system with DITA-Machinery SC. RDS is Reference Designation System and is used in various places for example the energy sector. The overall foundation for this is the ISO-81346, which is quite abstract. However VGB have developed a solution called RDS-PP (Power Plant) which is a concrete suggestion to build a RDS system for the wind energy sector. It is in close family with KKS which I can imagine will be included in the RDS-PP for the future.

Best Regards

Keld