dita-s1000d-discuss message

Subject: Reengineering S1000D into DITA?

Hi All,

Creating DITA specializations for S1000D will be a massive undertaking for
which I don’t see a business case. The S1000D specification is 2315 pages
strong (compared to 292 pages of DITA spec) and more likely to grow in
version 2.3 and beyond. This is why I recommend that OASIS issues high
level guidelines for creating DITA specializations for S1000D as opposed
to embarking in a journey to reengineer S1000D into DITA. Users can then
follow those guidelines in creating specializations on an as needed basis.

Launching such as a massive and costly undertaking without first
modernizing DITA’s specialization mechanism will create a new set of
problems. The good thing that came out of the DITA vs. S1000D debate is
that S1000D needs a forward looking extensibility (specialization)
mechanism.

After all, isn’t this Darwin’s theory of evolution at its best?

Regards,

Joel Amoussou
http://www.efasoft.com