dita-sidsc message

Subject: Signal Name information considerations

As we begin our work on signal name information elements, it has been suggested that
the I/O of components (instances macro blocks) within a semiconductor design be
included in our sidsc DITA model because the signal descriptions of those internal blocks
are possible sources of information reuse if some of the I/O are connected to the
external pins.

Consider as well the problem of signal naming changes. When a designer instances a
macro block, and connects one of its I/Os to an external pin, the signal name of the
feature undeniably changes. Some of the inherited
information of that macro block signal description might not apply to the external
signal description. For example, if a macro has a selector input that is internally tied
to a high or a low to select from two behaviors of a particular I/O that goes external to the
module, then you wouldn't want
both of the signal behaviors being exported to the external pin.

MacroIO        This signal delivers a copy of the system clock when IOSEL is high.
                It delivers a 2X frequency copy of the system clock when IOSEL is low.

If IOSEL were internally pulled low, you would not want the first half of the description to be
inherited by the pin. You would also want the second sentence to be better crafted so it doesn't
have the incoherently connected pronoun "It."

Are we weaving an information sharing net so fine it might ensnare us? There
are a lot of considerations to this next section, and we must be open to thinking about
all the potholes in the road and work to fill them before we get to them.

Duane K. Becker     IBM Burlington, Vermont
Phone 1-802-769-1892     Tie Line 446-1892
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle business style - it is
impossible to measure a project's status or progress without
affecting it's status and progress.