dita-sidsc message

Subject: Training authors for reuse and properly distributing the roles

Hello SIDSC folks,

I would like the next teleconference to take place to share experience on content reuse.

At NXP, we finally went live with a great deal of content. It was migrated so we didn't have to bother much about cross map reuse. We will organize training sessions for authors, and I am confident the tooling won't be the toughest part as they're used to use various tools. I'm more worried about the concepts around topic oriented editing and proper reuse to document ICs and groups of products.

I have already a pretty good idea of how it should be done: the  product features and how they're are inherited within the product range should tell us how topics should be reused across product documentation. This is the nice theory.

But what is the best way to share this vision with authors who have worked for years in Framemaker with a document-oriented approach (data sheets, application notes, etc.)? Most of them have already understood the concept of maps and topics, but making them do the connection with their daily work in another story.

Or should they simply keep authoring, while an information architect would take care of properly managing the maps and topic references?

I consequently suggest we use next session to debate on the following questions:

·         How to  train authors to topic oriented writing?

·         How to distribute the roles? Should authors write AND manage map references? Is an information architect necessary to maintain the content structure, while the authors only edit the topics?

I’ve already read papers on the matter, but they were always too broad, never applied to the management of IC technical documentation.

In the poll set up by Bob Beims, I proposed to chair the next call, on Wednesday September 14th. If you have input for these questions or would be interested in hearing what is said, don’t forget to vote!

Best regards,

Colin Maudry

Product Data Analyst and DITA Implementer

cid:image001.gif@01C91339.12F576B0

NXP Semiconductors    www.nxp.com

High Tech Campus 60, room 4.406, 5656 AG  Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Tel: +31 40 27 25833 Mobile: +31 646 53 94 33     colin.maudry@nxp.com