dita-sidsc message

Subject: 2013-11-06 teleconference recording available ... with an UPDATE

For those who could not participate in last week's teleconference, the recording replay is available @

recordings of earlier calls are also available:

And recall that an archive of emails (including past meeting minutes) reside @

Here are my notes from the session:

Agenda:
    1. roll call
    2. review minutes of last call
    3. introduce new members (?)
    4. plan activities for remainder of the year
    5. other business
    6. adjourn

Item 1:

In attendance: Bob Beims, Marcos Campos, Severin Foreman, Darren Mitcham, Derek Saldana

Item 2:

Bob announced that Joanna Bettelheim of Freescale has been authorized by her management to participate in SIDSC efforts, and she brings strong information architecture and prolific writing / editing skills to the team.

Severin clarified that an additional participant from Altera is on hold due to some personal issues she’s handling right now. But he’s hopeful that they’ll be able to contribute some additional resource(s) soon.

Item 3:

There were no new members on the call to introduce.

[UPDATE] Although I was unable to introduce any new subcommittee member companies during last week’s call, I can now announce that Peter Jones of ARM has joined the group. I’m really looking forward to having the participation of such an important player in our industry! Welcome Peter!

Item 4:

It was decided that we’d cancel the 20 November teleconference, as many of us in the US (including myself) will be on holiday.

Likewise, we’ve cancelled the 18 December teleconference in anticipation of the end-of-year holiday break that many of us will be taking.

That leaves us with only one more call for 2013, on 4 December. Perhaps the most important topic of discussion during that call will be to set a strategic plan to kick off 2014 with a strong start such that we can get the SIDSC specification mature enough to publish as a Committee Draft early in the year.

We all agreed that spending the “reserved” time slot on 20 November to review the current work in progress specification would be a Good Thing.

Item 5:

Derek raised the issue of fostering adoption by pursuing an open-source Open Toolkit plugin to “lower the bar” for folks to begin to work with SIDSC content. That idea generated 10 to 15 minutes of discussion, particularly around the concept of limiting the scope of such an open source project to provide only most rudimentary formatting of the content. That raises the question of the value of the graphical register diagram that most semiconductor companies have provided in their documentation for decades.

ACTION ITEM: Bob will work with Derek to pursue Freescale-internal processes to scrub our existing SIDSC plugin as a starting point for an open-sourced reference implementation.

Bob raised the concern from a non-Member company that is considering engaging with the subcommittee that we might need to refine our Charter to
  1. make sure it properly represents the vision of this team, and
  2. clearly positions itself in the Information Development domain (thus not “competing” with other standards such as IP-XACT).

ACTION ITEM: Please review the charter and submit comments regarding suggested modifications via the subcommittee email list (address below):

As an additional reminder, here are URLs to the current work in progress specification:

If you have any thoughts or questions, please use the dita-sidsc@lists.oasis-open.org mail list to keep the discussion going!

Respectfully,
Bob Beims

Chair, OASIS DITA TC Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee (SIDSC)

Enterprise Systems Architect, Staff Principal
Automotive Microcontroller Products Group

Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
6501 William Cannon Drive West, MD: OE30
Austin, TX 78735-8598

www.freescale.com

This e-mail, and any associated attachments have been classified as:
[X]Public
[ ]Freescale Semiconductor Internal Use Only
[ ]Freescale Semiconductor Confidential Proprietary