Subject: Meeting with Raymond Urgo to discuss policy information

I met with Raymond Urgo today to discuss policy as an information type. Because Raymond used to be a certified Information Mapping instructor, he had no trouble understanding what we are trying to do.

I showed Raymond the straw XML instance that I have been using to think about the model. He indicated that the semantics of the model were appropriate. He also asked us to consider where the following sorts of information would go:
The straw XML instance uses a topic type named principle. Raymond supported the idea that this information type could easily be used for regulations, requirements, and rules because all of those things are similar to policy. He suggested some policies may actually have requirements of their own.

Raymond made a couple of points that we ought to keep in mind. First, policy information is inherently abstract since it usually deals with expectations rather than objects. Second, any model we come up with must be quite flexible. He pointed out being too prescriptive with our model would limit its usefulness. The work that he has done with clients bears this out. He was emphatic that forms or template-based solutions are too rigid.

Raymond was also keen on using subject-dependent labeling rather than structure-oriented labeling. His rationale for that was that given the abstract nature of the subject matter, being as specific as practical in the labels helps users stay oriented. For instance, instead of using a label that says “Responsibilities” use one that says “Supervisor responsibilities for absence reporting”. This remark largely falls into to usage rather modeling, but it does suggest that we ought not to set auto-generated labeling expectations in the model.

The call was quite useful. I am grateful to Raymond for spending his time talking to me. I told him that I would send him an update when the model is further along. He did not express an interest in participating on an on-going basis.

Best Regards,
--
Bob Thomas
+1 720 201 8260