dita-translation message

Subject: RE: [dita-translation] Draft proposal for dir attribute

Or it may have been me :)

The most obvious area where taking direction from the lang attribute breaks
down is with punctuation in numbers. For example, when lang="he", if you
type the following characters in the order shown:
123.456-789
The standard Unicode rules for Hebrew will result in:
789-456.123
Since Hebrew direction is RTL, the full stop (period) follows the text that
was typed before it; but with numbers the result is not what the author
expects! There are many such issues, this is the most obvious one.

Most technical manuals written in Hebrew contain English words or phrases.
If the English phrase appears at the beginning or end of the sentence, again
the result is often not what the author intends. Here's an example where the
author types:
xml:lang="en">EnglishPhrase</ph>.</p>
If the phrase within the <p> wraps, what often happens is the Hebrew text
and the full stop appear on the first line, with the English text on the
second line. The full stop is not kept with the English phrase.

However if we specify:
xml:lang="en">EnglishPhrase</ph>.</p>
Then the full stop will correctly follow the English text phrase, even when
it wraps onto a new line.

You could argue that the latter example is a problem with
authoring/publishing tools, but it's encountered in most tools that support
Middle Eastern languages -- they simply have no idea what the user's means
without additional directionality specified.

Does this help clarify the issue?

Best Regards,
Gershon