dita-translation message

Subject: RE: [dita-translation] Draft proposal for dir attribute

Gershon, Ae you ready to submit a proposal for dir on Monday?

See my agenda plans.

JoAnn

-----Original Message-----
From: Gershon L Joseph [mailto:gershon@tech-tav.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 2:05 PM
To: 'Robert D Anderson'
Cc: bhertz@sdl.com; 'Bryan Schnabel'; 'Charles Pau'; 'Lieske,
Christian'; 'Dave A Schell'; dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org;
dpooley@sdl.com; 'Felix Sasaki'; 'Richard Ishida'; Jennifer Linton;
mambrose@sdl.com; patrickk@scriptware.nl; pcarey@lexmark.com;
Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com; rfletcher@sdl.com;
Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com; tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com;
'Yves Savourel'

1. I'm in agreement.

2. I think what I meant to write is if the document element does not
specify
dir or xml:lang, then assume LTR. I agree that if the document element
specifies xml:lang, the direction derived from the Unicode spec for the
specified language should prevail.

It appears that the lro and rlo values are intended to override the
default
Unicode directionality and are applicable mainly at the output rendering
stage (which is why they're in the HTML and XHTML specs). I believe we
can
omit them from DITA. Unless of course anyone else provides input that
proves
they are needed at the authoring stage...

Best Regards,
Gershon