dita-translation message

Subject: More on ruby

Hi all,

Following up to our discussions at last Monday's Translation subcommittee
discussions about Ruby:

- Discuss a possible proposal for inclusion of the ruby
    attribute/element in the DITA specification
    - Don proposes not to include ruby for DITA in source, but to
        discuss best practice to ensure annotation capability is
	provided for in DITA and it could be interpreted into
	ruby-like markup (i.e. keyref).
    - JoAnn - investigate a little further, but not applicable to
        1,1, and we may have an alternative in the keyref. Add
	recommendation for processors on how keyref may be
	interpreted to ruby
    -- ACTION ITEM -- Gershon to research more and discuss with
    Richard for decision next meeting.

After a little more thinking, I feel we should accept JoAnn's move to remove
Ruby from DITA 1.1. After 1.1 (or maybe even after 1.2), we could
investigate whether the keyref attribute could be used to hold Ruby data
that would be output to the appropriate Ruby markup at publishing time.
Personally, I think we should wait for users to request Ruby support before
we consider any further work (documenting best practices, changing the spec,
or anything else) related to Ruby. I feel our efforts should rather be spent
on 1.1 items at this time.

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com