OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-translation message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
(Minutes taken by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

Date: Monday, 27 March 2006
Time: 08:00 - 09:00 PST

DITA Translation Subcommittee resources:
- SC Web site:
- Mailing list: dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org
- Non-OASIS members please email Gershon or Don and we'll post on
    your behalf

Roll Call
- Present: Chris Wong, Kevin, Robert, Don, Gershon, JoAnn, Yves, Andrzej
- Regrets: Felix
Review/approve minutes from previous meeting (20 March 2006)
- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-translation/200603/msg00041.html
- Don moves to accept the minutes as read, Robert accepts, no objections,
    approved by acclamation.
Announcement: Many thanks to Andrzej Zydron for his presentation of the
workflow for DITA + xml:tm

New Business

1) Proposal for the xml:lang attribute specification -- presentation by

    - JoAnn read new additions to proposal (sections "Recommended Usage" 
        and "Note to Vendors/Implementers")
    - Chris -- Should xml:lang attribute be used as sparingly as possible?
        -- Worries about xml:lang being used on root element.
    - Andrzej -- I fully support the proposal that calls for maximum use 
        of xml:lang.
    - Chris -- <dita> has no content, so what's the purpose of setting xml:lang
        on it (as the root element)?
    - Robert -- No attributes on <dita>, only on <topic> and peers
    - Andrzej -- <topic> etc. have xml:lang attribute.
        -- We're talking about the root topic element.
        -- If xml:lang is on document element, then the highest level topic 
            element inherits xml:lang. Likewise, <topicref> should inherit 
            from <map> (if no parent overrides xml:lang) or from nearest 
            parent that overrides the xml:lang setting of the root element.
        -- In case of contradiction between xml:lang setting on <topicref> and 
            xml:lang on <topic>, the <topicref> setting does not apply to the 
            <topic>. In other words, the map does not override any xml:lang 
            on the <topic>.
        -- Discussion whether xml:lang on map should apply to the topics...
        -- Discussion of translation workflow...
        -- Need map file for each target language.
        -- Proposal must clarify the following:
            - xml:lang on <map> is applied to the map.
            - xml:lang on <map> does not affect topics.
            - if different xml:lang values exist on map and topic, topic setting
            - add use cases
    --ACTION-- JoAnn to write up use case
    --ACTION-- Nancy to write up use case
    --ACTION-- Everyone to circulate xml:lang use cases on the email list. Gershon
        to amend proposal to include maps and clarify which elements in DITA 
        are in effect the root elements for xml:lang settings.

2) Proposal for the dir attribute specification -- presentation by
    - JoAnn -- summarizes proposal
    - Kevin -- I still owe Gershon a couple of paragraphs on output.
    --ACTION-- Kevin to submit output sections this week.

- Any other DITA 1.1 best practices we want to provide?
    - Don -- We must submit xml:lang and dir best practices next week.

- Workflow proposal (led by Andrzej)
    - Rodolfo -- It's not necessary to use xml:tm or XLIFF, though both do
        have advantages.
    - Don -- it's a recommendation, not mandatory
        -- our recommended workflows should show with xml:tm and without.
    - Everyone to look at the 2 proposal received and we'll discuss next week.
    - Everyone to look at the new DITA Web site (http://dita.xml.org/) and see
        if it's the way to provide best practice information/recommendations.
    - Don -- We need recommended scenarios for enterprise as well as small workgroups
    - JoAnn -- We should have 2: one with CMS and one without CMS.
    - We should also have the following:
        - a simple model with open source only.
        - CMS model without xml:tm.
        - CMS with xml:tm model.
        - enterprise vs small/medium documentation team (5-20 or 50 members)
    - Patrick may be able to provide small business use case.

Next week:
- discuss and approve final xml:lang and dir proposals with amendments as above
- discuss progress on workflow proposals

--Meeting adjourned--

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]