dita-translation message

Subject: Use cases for XML:lang

Use case for xml:lang

Technical manuals frequently contain entire topics that are in languages different from the primary source languages of most of the topics. A manual in English, for example, may contain warnings that are in multiple languages, or have multiple topics of warnings each in individual languages. A manual may also contain regulatory notices as individual topics in different languages.

Therefore, a map might reference topics that are written and labelled (xml:lang) in more than one language. In this case, it may be useful to encode xml:lang at the map level to ensure that the correct language version of the topic is selected.

"I'm not entirely sure that the map encoding woudl be the best way to handle this scenario. I await your expert advice."

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.