dita-translation message

Subject: FW: [dita] Proposed changes to the xml:lang proposal

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@innodata-isogen.com]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 9:11 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Grosso, Paul
Subject: Re: [dita] Proposed changes to the xml:lang proposal

Grosso, Paul wrote:
> That is why I think saying "the language...should be indicated via
> markup" is misleading, because is the string itself (as well as its
> language) that needs to be indicated via markup.

And just to be a bit more pedantic, I think it would be clearer and more
accurate to say "text" instead of "string".

While the XML data is held as strings of characters, semantically when
you talk about *language" you are dealing with "text" rather than
strings of characters.

I would think that the clearest statement would be something like:

"As a matter of practice, text that is in a language different from the
base language of its container should be contained in XML markup that
uses the xml:lang= attribute to indicate the text's national language."

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber