OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-translation message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
(Minutes taken by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

Date: Monday, 10 April 2006
Time: 08:00 - 09:00 PST

DITA Translation Subcommittee resources:
- SC Web site:
- Mailing list: dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org
- Non-OASIS members please email Gershon or Don and we'll post on
    your behalf

Roll Call
- Present: Robert, Don, David, Kevin, Sandi, Gershon, JoAnn, Felix, Yves, 
    Andrzej, Nancy, Rodolfo
- Regrets: Patrick

Review/approve minutes from previous meeting (3 April 2006)
- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-translation/200604/msg00004.html
- Andrzej moves to accept the minutes as read, Gershon seconds, no objections,
    approved by acclamation.

Action Items:

- Discussion of the dir attribute proposal (Gershon Joseph, Kevin Farwell, Richard 
    Ishida) Use cases for the xml:lang attribute (submitted by JoAnn Hackos) 
    - Closed

New Business

1) Gershon will review the current status of the xml:lang proposal based on 
    the email discussions that have occurred since the TC approved the proposal 
    last week and continued discussion on TC during the week.
    - Gershon reviewed the 3 issues that were raised:
        1. Removal of mention of contradictions between map and topic:
            "In the case of a contradiction between the xml:lang value set on 
            the map and the xml:lang value set on the topic, the setting on 
            the topic overrides."
            Based on responses on the list from Michael and Robert, as well 
            as the universal feeling of the SC members, this should not be 
            changed. However, Robert proposed a better phrasing for this which 
            Paul G is OK with, so I think we should change the above sentence to:
            "If the xml:lang value on a topicref does not match the xml:lang 
            value on a topic, the value on the topic takes precedence."
        - Agreement that we should keep this change in and not remove it.

        2. "When reading XML markup that embeds scripts of different languages, 
            the embedded languages should be indicated via markup when the 
            document is saved." This sentence is still confusing, and should 
            be rewritten as follows:
            "When an application writes (saves) a document that contains 
            strings of characters from different languages, the strings of 
            each language should be indicated via markup."
            Thanks Paul G for pointing this one out. I changed your suggested 
            text a little.
        - Agreement that the new wording is more accurate than those proposed
            by TC members. However, since applications can't identify the 
            language, Gershon suggests moving this statement from the vendor
            requirements to the best practices for authors and translators, and 
            changing the text to refer to author/translators instead of 
            applications. No objections to the change.
        --ACTION-- Gershon to clarify the language of the markup requirement 
            and relocate it to the best practices section.
        3. During last week's TC meeting, there was extensive discussion on how
            xml:lang should apply to conref. While the TC decision was to 
            update the conref documentation, Bob Stayton thought the xml:lang
            should also mention this. Gershon feels this makes sense, since we
            already specify how map/topic conflicts should be resolved.
        --ACTION-- Gershon to add paragraph that describes expected behavior 
            of conref with example.

2) Discuss best practices for the dir attribute based on input from Gershon, 
    Kevin, and Richard.
    - Reviewed the precaution statement
    - Awaiting feedback from TC, who will discuss it tomorrow...

3) Begin a discussion of the best practices surrounding inline elements.
    - best practice targeted primarily to authors
    - JoAnn asks each member to consider a use case for best practice for 
        handling inline elements, e.g. adding index items (immediately 
        following text of element) at end of paragraph
    - Nancy -- Insert index items separate from the text flow, but put at 
        beginning of paragraph.
    - DISCUSSION about how index markers are associated with the text
        - Italic and bold (and other typographic elements) -- should not be used, 
            since target languages don't always have them.
        - Discussion on how to handle typographical element in translation
        - SUMMARY -- Semantic inline elements should not cause problems in 
        - Andrzej - subflows (e.g. index markers) cause problems when being 
            translated as part of the string being translated.
        - Discussion...
    --ACTION-- Nancy to start draft of our best practice recommendations, and 
        everyone to send use case or statement to Nancy during the week, 
        especially situations of potential problems like container elements 
        around bulleted list or any other area we may run into a problem.

- There will be no meeting next week (17 April).
- Next meeting will be Monday 24 April 2006.
--Meeting adjourned--

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]