dita-translation message

Subject: Meeting Agenda for Monday 5 June DITA Subcommittee

Agenda for Monday 5 June 2006

Note: Please be certain to review the ITS documents from Yves Savourel before the meeting tomorrow.

I will be at the PTC/Arbortext conference in Dallas and will call in from the meeting.

11:00 am - 12:00 am Eastern Standard Team (-5 GMT)

DITA Technical Committtee teleconference

USA Toll Free Number: 866-566-4838

USA Toll Number: +1-210-280-1707

PASSCODE: 185771

Roll Call

Approve Minutes from 15 May 2006 (enclosed for those who are not TC

members)

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/

<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/>

Returning Business:

1) Discussion item from Yves Savourel

As you may know, the W3C has recently published the Last Call Working Draft for ITS (See [1]) as well as the First Working Draft of a companion document: "Best Practices for XML Internationalization" (See [2]).

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-its-20060518/>

[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20060518/>

The second document include examples of how to use ITS with a few specific document types (See the "ITS Applied to Existing Formats"

section). In the next draft we would like to include DITA in that list.

The attached file is a try for the possible default rules to process DITA with ITS. We would appreciate very much if some of you had the time to review it and make sure we have not made any mistake, or forgot anything. For example, I'm not sure if the dir attribute should be there or not. I'm also not sure if we have all subflow elements listed. Maybe we need two rule sets: on for the current version of DITA and one for the upcoming one (although if there is no conflict and a single rule set could be used that would be better).

The specification document [1] should help you understand each element in these rules. The Last Call review for the specification ends on June-30. The Best Practices document will still go through several drafts.

2) Discussion item from Andrzej Zydron

LISA OSCAR's latest standard GMX/V (Global Information Metrics eXchange

- Volume) has been approved and is going through its final public comment phase. GMX/V tackles the issue of word and character counts and how to exchange localization volume information via an XML vocabulary.

GMX/V finally provides a verifiable, industry standard for word and character counts. GMX/V mandates XLIFF as the canonical form for word and character counts.

GMX/V can be viewed at the following location:

http://www.lisa.org/standards/gmx/GMX-V.html

Localization tool providers have been consulted and have contributed to this standard. We would appreciate your views/comments on GMX/V.

New Business:

Decide the Best Practices that we need to consider.

1) Possibly to maximize usage of conref (reusable blocks)...

From Nancy Harrison

Boilerplate text is often kept in one or more .dita files used as a source for conrefs across a document set. How hsould authors / implementors / processors deal with multiple sets of boilerplate files automatically?  DocBook names every file containing generated text with a language entension (two letter only), including English.  A similar scheme, but probably with locale, not just country, would work for DITA documents as well.

2) Handling multi-language documents

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 15 May 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 15 May 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

Present: Don Day, Gershon Joseph, Kara Warburton, Kevin Farwell, Robert Anderson,
    David Walters, Nancy Harrison

Regrets: JoAnn Hackos, Andrzej Zydron, Rodolfo Raya

2.  Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.
    Moved by Gershon, seconded by Don, no objections.

3.  Old Business:

    a.  Review Nancy's revision of the indexing best practice enclosed.

4.  New Business:

    a.  Discuss the second item on handling inline elements properly (alt text,
        footnote, draft comment, required element). Please pay particular
        attention to defining how the authors should handle this.

        DONE.

    b.  If possible, continue with the next best practice in Nancy's list.

        Don: Index entries are for in-situ index entries; <keyword> should be
        used for index terms that apply to the entire topic.

        "If appropriate, the index entry should contain the range of text to be indexed"
        - This refers to page ranges. The index term is defined
            inside the index marker. Start range should be at beginning of start
            block (i.e., parent block element); end range markup should be at end
            of end block element.
        - Tools should implement range from start of start element containing
            the start index marker to end of end element that contains the end
            index marker, regardeless of the location of the start and end markers.
        ACTION (from previous meeting) JoAnn to provide example markup

        "The author should insert -- where ???"
        - Put them where it's logical in the source document.

        "When these elements are encountered, the tool should interpret the
        location of the container element for the inline element as the parent
        element of the element. ???"
        - We don't have anything to say here, remove this sentence.

        "Well-configured XLIFF-based tools do this automatically"
        Change to: In generaral, XLIFF-based translation tools can be
        configured to do this automatically.

        Agenda item for next week:
        What other best practices do we need to discuss? e.g. maximize usage
        of conref (reusable blocks)...

Meeting adjourned at 09:00am PT.

---

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-translation/200605/msg00006.html
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Possible default ITS rules for DITA -->
<its:rules xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its"; its:version="1.0">

 <!-- Translatable attribute (some are deprecated) -->
 <translateRule selector="//image/@alt" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//lq/@reftitle" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//note/@othertype" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//object/@standby" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//othermeta/@content" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//state/@value" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//map/@title" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//topicref/@navref" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//topicgroup/@navtitle" translate="yes"/>
 <translateRule selector="//topichead/@navtitle" translate="yes"/>

 <!-- Non-translatable elements -->
 <translateRule selector="//draft-comment//*" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//draft-comment/descendant-or-self::*/@*" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//required-cleanup//*" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//required-cleanup/descendant-or-self::*/@*" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//coords" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//shape" translate="no"/>

 <!-- Translatability flags -->
 <translateRule selector="//*[@translate='no']" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//*[@translate='no']/descendant-or-self::*/@*" translate="no"/>
 <translateRule selector="//*[@translate='yes']" translate="yes"/>

 <!-- Directionality flags (soon to be added)
 <its:dirRule selector="//*[dir='ltr']" dir="ltr"/>
 <its:dirRule selector="//*[dir='rtl']" dir="rtl"/>
 <its:dirRule selector="//*[dir='lro']" dir="lro"/>
 <its:dirRule selector="//*[dir='rlo']" dir="rlo"/>
 -->

 <!-- Elements within text (inline) -->
 <its:withinText withinText="yes"
  selector="//boolean | //cite | //itemgroup | //keyword | //ph | //q | //state | //term |
   //tm | //xref | //b | //i | //sub | //sup | //tt | //u | //apiname | //codeph | //delim |
   //fragref | //kwd | //oper | //option | //parmname | //repsep | //sep | //synnoteref |
   //synph | //var | //cmdname | //filepath | //msgnum | //msgph | //systemoutput |
   //userinput | //varname | //menucascade | //shortcut | //uicontrol | //wintitle |
   //coords | //shape" />

 <!-- Elements within text (subflow) -->
 <its:withinText winthinText="nested"
  selector="//draft-comments | //required-cleanup | //alt | //fn" />

 <!-- Terminology -->
 <its:termRule selector="//term | //dt"/>

</its:rules>