OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-translation message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: FW: [dita] FW: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July 2006

Forwarded on behalf of France Baril for discussion during the SC meeting

Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: France Baril [mailto:France.Baril@ixiasoft.com] 
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 6:06 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] FW: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July


-----Original Message-----
From: France Baril
Sent: July 24, 2006 10:16 AM
To: 'JoAnn Hackos'
Cc: 'Don Day'
Subject: RE: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July 2006

Can I suggest that we add to the agenda the question about not translating
indexterms and keywords in an exact one to one match. It should be possible
to add or remove indexterms and keywords. This, to my knowledge, cannot be
managed by any tool. 

For example, in Qc we have these indexterm for info about email.


That's because mél is used in France, courriel in Québec and many users use
the English term email. It does not make sense to have 3 entries in English,
one would be enough. You meet the same issue when a two word expression in
one language becomes a one work expression.

	<indexterm>page d'</indexterm>


This example is so so because there are work arounds, but it's the only one
I could think of at this time. 



-----Original Message-----
From: JoAnn Hackos [mailto:joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: July 23, 2006 8:09 PM
To: dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org; cwong@idiominc.com;
mambrose@sdl.com; bhertz@sdl.com; Bryan Schnabel; charles_pau@us.ibm.com;
christian.lieske@sap.com; dpooley@sdl.com; dschell@us.ibm.com;
esrig@lucent.com; fsasaki@w3.org; rfletcher@sdl.com; Howard.Schwartz;
Jennifer Linton; ishida@w3.org; tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com;
KARA@CA.IBM.COM; ysavourel@translate.com
Cc: France Baril; Erik Hennum; Chris Wong
Subject: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July 2006

Agenda for Monday 24 July 2006

11:00 am - 12:00 am Eastern Standard Team DITA Technical Committee
teleconference USA Toll Free Number: 866-566-4838 USA Toll Number:

PASSCODE: 185771

Unfortunately, I will be traveling at the meeting time on Monday. Don Day
has gratiously agreed to chair the meeting. JoAnn

Roll Call

Accept Minutes from 17 July 2006 (enclosed for those who are not TC




Attached for non-members.

3) Review open action items

 --ACTION-- Rodolfo to prepare an outline for this best practice document 
    for translating DITA and submit to list for discussion at a future
    At that meeting, SC should agree on the outline.
  In Progress
  --ACTION-- Everyone to read Rodolfo's XLIFF article[2] and
    provide feedback to Rodolfo this week via the mailing list.
  In Progress


--ACTION -- Next draft of the best practice for legacy TM In progress
Gershon Joseph

--ACTION-- Robert and JoAnn to work on wording of note to keyword element 
    noting that it is considered inline when inside topics, but as
standalone segments when inside <keywords> (in prolog).

    --ACTION-- Rodolfo and Andrzej to investigate how translation tools can 
    differentiate between these keyword elements as inline and standalone 

    --ACTION-- JoAnn to take to TC our concerns about both the start and end

    index range markers holding the index term.

4) Returning business: 

4.1 Open discussion of indexing -- to include France Baril, Erik Hennum,
Chris Wong invited to join from the TC.

We will use this discussion to clarify the issues the SC has around indexing
and to ensure that we all understand how the indexing tags in the prolog and
inline are supposed to function from the point of view of translation

4.2 Review the revision of the draft Best Practices for Indexing. 
See the enclosed draft.

4.3 Discuss the paper on Rodolfo's website to be used as a source for an
XLIFF best practice document.

5. New Business: (still on hold)

5.1 Handling multi-language documents

Charles Pau and others to provide examples to the list for discussion
(multi-language documents best practice)

5.2 Andrjez provided examples of the need to change reusable building block
to the group for discussion. (conref best practice)

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
joannhackos Skype

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]