dita-translation message

Subject: FW: Examples of multilingual documents

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

From: charles_pau@us.ibm.com [mailto:charles_pau@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 2:19 PM
To: gershon@tech-tav.com
Cc: bhertz@sdl.com; 'Bryan Schnabel'; christian.lieske@sap.com; cwong@idiominc.com; dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org; dpooley@sdl.com; dschell@us.ibm.com; fsasaki@w3.org; 'Howard.Schwartz'; ishida@w3.org; 'Jennifer Linton'; KARA@CA.IBM.COM; mambrose@sdl.com; Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com; rfletcher@sdl.com; tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com; ysavourel@translate.com
Subject: Re: Examples of multilingual documents

Here are a few more examples:

1.  Government forms (and instructions on filling out forms) and publications in many multilingual countries - Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, Ireland, Malaysia, India.  Almost all immigration and custom forms (with the US as a major exception).
2.  Magazines in some countries.  Airlines inflight magazines (some have different sections while other have different languages on the same page - to save on reprinting pictures).  I recently flew on Singapore Airlines which has a very extensive on-demand movies, with movies from different countries.  On one page of their magazine they show movies from Hong Kong, Korea, India, France, and Japan, with descriptions in the corresponding language.

Regards,
Charles Pau
Director, Globalization Architecture and Technology
IBM
Tel. +1-617-751-4179   IBM Tie-Line 364-4116
e-mail: charles_pau@us.ibm.com, Notes mail: Charles Pau/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus
"Tell the rich of the midnight sighing of the poor, lest heedlessness lead them into the path of destruction, and deprive them of the Tree of Wealth." - Bahá’u’lláh

"Gershon L Joseph" <gershon@tech-tav.com>

06/05/2006 03:15 AM
Please respond to
gershon

<dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org>, <cwong@idiominc.com>, <mambrose@sdl.com>, <bhertz@sdl.com>, "'Bryan Schnabel'" <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>, <charles_pau@us.ibm.com>, <christian.lieske@sap.com>, <dpooley@sdl.com>, <dschell@us.ibm.com>, <fsasaki@w3.org>, <rfletcher@sdl.com>, "'Howard.Schwartz'" <Howard.Schwartz@trados.com>, "'Jennifer Linton'" <jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com>, <Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com>, <ishida@w3.org>, <tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com>, <KARA@CA.IBM.COM>, <ysavourel@translate.com>
cc
Subject
Examples of multilingual documents

Following up on action items from last week, here are some multilingual
documents I've come across:

1. A single user manual containing the product's documentation in multiple
languages (in Israel, typically English, Hebrew, Arabic and several European
languages like French, German, Italian, Greek). I've often seen this with
manuals that accompany mobile phones, cameras, and small electronic
equipment. The medical industry also produces a single document (typically
printed on 2 sides of a single sheet of paper) that documents everything
about the medication in every language required by the law of the country
it's sold in. In Israel that includes Hebrew, Arabic, English, Russian, and
a few more I can't think of off-hand. In South Africa it used to be English,
Afrikaans, and several of the local African languages. I think South Africa
now has 11 official languages, so I expect medications to ship with
documentation in all 11 of them. Products sold in Canada probably require by
law documentation in at least French and English (I'm sure someone on the
group will correct me if I'm wrong).

2. A single-language document with a warnings section that contains a set of
warnings in 20 or more languages. For example, the manual would be entirely
in English or French, but the preface or first chapter would contain a
section that lists the same laser (or other) warnings in every language the
field engineer installing the product may speak. Typically, I've seen this
approach in telecommunications equipment (not end-user equipment, but
equipment sold to service providers to integrate into their networks).

If anyone has anything to add to this, or other examples, please discuss on
the list. I doubt we'll get to this item this week (since it's on the bottom
of this week's agenda), but hopefully we'll discuss this next week.

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com