dita-translation message

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 8 January 2007

1) Roll Call
  * Don is leading today's meeting

2) Accept Minutes from 4 December 2006
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/<http://ww
w.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/>
Attached for guests and observers.
  * Don moves to accept, Nancy seconds. No objections.

3.  Review open action items
    ACTION: Nancy to add a statement for inline multilingual content. Nancy
    and Bruce will try to find a new online example.
        CONTINUED. Gershon and Bruce to submit two more examples based on
two real-life
        use cases.
      * UPDATE: Nancy added a statement. Still need new examples

    ACTION: Andrzej and Rodolfo to revise the conref best practice document
        CONTINUED, as follows:
        * Rodolfo to work with Andrzej to add section on Japanese.
        * Andrzej to add new variables section, with examples. Nancy to
provide example
        English text.
      * CONTINUED: Andrzej and Rodolfo are not on the call

    ACTION: All committee members. Provide feedback on Robert Anderson’s
new
    draft of the inline elements table

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20570/elementsOnePointOne.html
        CONTINUED. Everyone please review for discussion next week.
      * CLOSED: The table has been incorporated into the architectural
specification.
                Further comments should be posted as comments to that spec.

    ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
    indexing and Translation Memory as committee drafts for approval by the
    DITA Technical Committee.
        CONTINUED. Gershon posted the final BP document on the OASIS DITA
TC site
        and asked TC members to review it. TC will address it when it's
next on
        the TC agenda.
        TC in agreement our BP documents should be broadly based, for
usability
        reasons.
        Don: We could add a flag to indicate DITA-specific content.
        JoAnn: Add purpose statement that it's best practice for DITA and
some
        of the content also applies to other XML dialects.
      * CONTINUED: Will hold off from involving the TC until the 1.1
committee drafts
                   are complete.
      * ACTION: Add this to the TC agenda once the 1.1 draft is approved.

    ACTION: JoAnn to ask Charles Pau and David Walters to review the
    forthcoming best practices on conref, multi-language documents, and
others.
        CONTINUED.
      * CONTINUED: Need to stage the documents, so we can provide URLs to
reviewers.

    ACTION: Everyone to review the document JoAnn posted on 13 November
(subject:
    Document from Christian Lieske).
        CONTINUED.
      * CONTINUED (again).

4) Returning business:
4.1 Review the new draft of the Indexing Best Practice.
      * Paul's comments:
        Most issues now addressed. Good to have titles in front of
examples.
        Only remaining problem is with example 3. 2 problems:
        1) Lead-in text is wrong. It refers to a command a in task step. It
should
           show indexterm in front of the correct text. Probably do not
need so
           many index terms, but the current set works.
        2) "Resulting index would read as follows" -- the 4 primary entries
need
           to be alphabetized.
        Otherwise - previous comments have been addressed.

4.2 Review of Nancy Harrison's examples of inline elements
      * ACTION: Nancy to put latest version and examples up on the web-site
                for easy review. Don suggests putting the links on a wiki
page.

5) New business:
Discuss proposals for new issues to be addressed in 2007
      * Don points out that we are about at the end of our charter.
        If we plan to continue, we need to re-address the charter.
        Point of a sub-committee is to address a specific issue.
        Need to add new issues as an addendum to charter; need to clarify
goals so
        that the sub-committee knows when to disband.

      * Glossary proposal (Kara Warburton). Don points out that this is
related
        to terminology as expressed in DITA. Work should start from
glossary in
        DITA 1.1. Need to decide if this is within the scope of this SC.
        Nancy: There are associated translation issues, but it transcends
subject of
               translation. A translation viewpoint is necessary but not
sufficient.
        Don: Should raise in TC to see if glossary needs its own
subcommittee.
        ACTION: Raise this at the TC after the 1.1 draft.

      * Attributes, acronyms, variables in translation (Howard Schwartz).
          "I was wondering how you and the committee were thinking about
attributes
           in general during translation. If the attribute is in another
file as
           a conref such as the example below and the translator gets the
xml
           and sentence and doesn't see the variable or the acronym (ie
ABS), won't
           that undermine the translator's ability to understand the
sentence?"
        Don: Could be a specialization, an addition to an existing domian.
             Will bring it up to the TC as well, and decide where to
address it.
             Should add abbreviations to the list; maybe other items as
well.
             Could be a best practice here as well - understand how to
package up
             the files so that the translator has everything which is
needed.
        ACTION: Raise this at the TC after the 1.1 draft.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787