OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-translation message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 7 May 2007

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee
+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 7 May 2007

1)  Roll Call

        Don Day
        Gershon Joseph
        Rodolfo Raya
        Robert Anderson
        JoAnn Hackos
        Andrzej Zydron
2)  Accept Minutes from 16 April 2007 and 23 April 2007. Attached. 


3)  Review open action items
    3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples. 
        Gershon will assemble all the examples into the template for the TC
        CONTINUED. [Client requested Gershon to mark up required parts in DITA, 
        then submit for approval by legal folks]
    3.2 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing and Translation Memory as committee drafts for approval by the DITA
        Technical Committee.
        CONTINUED. Gershon to complete marking up in DITA XML and complete OASIS 
        customization and deliver to TC for review. 
        Don asked Gershon to make new Wiki page with links to the latest drafts 
        of the Translation SC BPs for review.

    	Gershon stile working on marking up in DITA. When ready, we'll take to TC.
    3.5 ACTION: Rodolfo will continue to work on the Best Practice for XLIFF

    3.6 ACTION: Gershon will prepare the multilingual and the other Best Practices in the OASIS
        template for the TC approval.
    3.7 ACTION: JoAnn will try writing the sort order addition to the indexing 
        Best Practice for review.
    3.8 ACTION: JoAnn will contact Richard Ishida to get clarification on the 
        need for a pronunciation element or attribute for the acronym proposal.
        IN PROGRESS -- note sent to Richard. JoAnn raised the issue at the OASIS 
        Symposium with the Accessibility working group headed by Peter Brunet from 
        IBM. They are working on accessibility for ODF. Suggested that DITA be 
        included in the accessibility discussions.

    	JoAnn updated SC on the OASIS symposium and DITA leads that came out of that.

	    Ongoing thread on screen readers and their ability to process pronunciation codes.
4)  Returning business:
    4.1 Review latest version of Andrzej's acronym proposal.

        Reviewed the latest draft of the proposal. Discussion of the mis-spelled acronym; 
        it was a typo that should be corrected (need to put the 'r' back).

        Robert pointed out the first example with conref is missing the topic 
        ID on the conref attribute value.

        Robert: Add example of when auto processing works, and when it won't. 
        This will address Kara's concerns (who says is can be automated) and 
        Rodolfo/Andrzej who mention languages where it is no possible to use 
        auto processing.

        Andrzej: There are 2 issues. Spanish e.g. has no acronym for some items. 
        Kara's assumption is we can treat acronym the same way for all languages, 
        which is not a viable solution. The current TC proposal caters for all 

        Robert: Change our example to include a long tag and omit the short tag.

        Rodolfo: If you automatically translate to Spanish, you can put the English 
        acronym in parentheses after the term in Spanish. Auto-processing 
        can't do this.

        Decision to add example of Spanish where you include the English acronym 
        after the translation and another example (Polish) with the acronym before 
        the text. This will show that the acronym processing is language-specific. 
        Even though the language-specific behavior can be done by automating each 
        language, but for example Polish where sometimes the acronym goes before 
        and other times it's after we need an example to show this.

        Robert: Not a good idea to specialize off <data>, but Robert will send 
        comments to the list with a better proposal. Should be specialized from 

        Don raised the issue of "OASIS", where the acronym is a word in English.
        Rodolfo gave example. JoAnn asked for example to be added showing this.
        Add this example in Spanish.

        Andrzej: Another good example is DVD and CD-ROM, where they may not be 
        understood the first time they are used (if the reader is not technical). 
        Can't assume the user understands, so they should be defined the first 
        time they are used.

        JoAnn suggested perhaps some of these should be used to build a best practice.
    4.2 Discuss Rodolfo's  proposed additions to the Indexing best practice. 
5)  New business:
    5.1 JoAnn's report on the OASIS symposium.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]