OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-translation message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 30 July 2007


JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215


DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 30 July 2007

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday 30 July  2007
at 8:00 PT for 45 minutes.

1)  Roll Call

        JoAnn Hackos (chair)
        Robert Anderson
        Andrzej Zydron
        Don Day  
	Kara Warburton   

        Rodolfo Raya
2)  No vote on Minutes for 6 July 2007.

    Not yet available from Gershon
3)  Review open action items
    3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.
        Gershon will assemble all the examples into the template for the TC
        CONTINUED. Awaiting legal OK; Gershon is selecting items for use in the Best Practice.
    3.2 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing, conrefs, Translation Memory, and multilanguage as committee drafts for approval by the DITA
        Technical Committee.
        CONTINUED. Gershon to complete marking up in DITA XML and complete OASIS
        customization and deliver to TC for review
        Don asked Gershon to make new Wiki page with links to the latest drafts
        of the Translation SC BPs for review.

        ACTION: Gershon to send marked up one to JoAnn, who may take marking up over from Gershon
    3.5 ACTION: Rodolfo will continue to work on the Best Practice for XLIFF

    3.6 ACTION: JoAnn will try writing the sort order addition to the indexing
        Best Practice for review.
    3.7 ACTION: JoAnn will contact Richard Ishida to get clarification on the 
        need for a pronunciation element or attribute for the acronym proposal.
        IN PROGRESS -- note sent to Richard. JoAnn raised the issue at the OASIS 
        Symposium with the Accessibility working group headed by Peter Brunet from 
        IBM. They are working on accessibility for ODF. Suggested that DITA be 
        included in the accessibility discussions. No response as yet.

        JH sent another email. Awaiting response.
4)  Returning business:
    4.1 Discussion of Andrzej and Rodolfo's acronym proposal.

    Andrzej: Issue of automatic replacement of text. No safe way to present 
    except to present the acronym first, rather than the expansion.

    Kara: Need a presentation form. Expanded form is used for term extraction.
    Adding a <term> element for term extraction. Latest tmx proposal goes in
    that direction.

    Note: Presentation form should be whatever is printed on the first 	occurrence.

    Andrzej: Explanation of processing rule. If short form does not exist, use
    expanded form.
    Term extraction -- term can be extracted from the acronym file. 

    Problem: Example -- need both short form in source language and 		translated expanded form and source expanded form

	(OASIS) plus translation plus expansion in English
    Use cases:
	Andrzej: three types of acronyms
        1) some acronyms are never translation, such as xml, jpg because
         they are well known to a technical audience.

        2) UN, WMD -- acronyms are translated to correspond to the expanded
         form in the target language for a general audience

        3) acronyms with no short form equivalent in the target language
    Design requirements:
        The design requirements of this proposal must be reexamined. It is a
        DITA only proposals or does it take into account the needs of a wider
        community, such as term extraction.

    4.2 Discuss Rodolfo's  proposed additions to the Indexing best practice. 

            Deferred to next meeting.
5)  New business:
    5.1 JoAnn report on work on acronym specialization

        Deferred to next meeting.

--Meeting adjourned at 09:00 PT--

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]