dita-translation message

Subject: Re: [dita-translation] RE: Revised version of the Acronym/Glossary Proposal

Hi everyone,

I just had a chat with Bruce and will resolve the confusion with Eric and
we will get back to you asap. I personally do not think that "surface
forms" should be headwords in glossaries because they can take all kinds of
different actual forms (including prepending of articles and so forth) and
were intended for inline prose expressions of the term. But I will get back
to you once I've clarified with Eric. Sorry for any confusion.

Kara Warburton
IBM Terminology
905-413-2170

IBM Intranet links:
Terminology WIKI: https://w3.webahead.ibm.com/w3ki/display/IBMterm/Home
IBM terminology: http://w3.ibm.com/standards/terminology
Terminology blog: http://blogs.tap.ibm.com/weblogs/page/kara@ca.ibm.com

             "Ogden, Jeff"
             <jogden@ptc.com>
             28/01/2008 04:18          "Erik Hennum" <ehennum@us.ibm.com>,
             PM                        Kara Warburton/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                                                                        cc
                                       <bruce.esrig@gmail.com>,
                                       <dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, "Bruce Esrig"
                                       <esrig@alumni.princeton.edu>,
                                       "JoAnn Hackos"
                                       <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>,
                                       Michael
                                       Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA,
                                       "Rodolfo M. Raya"
                                       <rmraya@maxprograms.com>, "Robert D
                                       Anderson" <robander@us.ibm.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita-translation] RE: Revised
                                       version of the Acronym/Glossary
                                       Proposal

If we are talking about output rendering for the glossary as rather than
resolving an abbreviation reference, I submit that that is entirely an
output processing issue that can be customized and that the DITA
specification should not require any specific behavior. The spec may
suggest optional output behavior, but since it isn?t required it doesn?t
matter much at this stage. So I am happy to push forward with the proposal
as it is, as long as we think it says the right things about how
abbreviations are resolved.  And I haven?t heard any problems on that
front.

But having said the above, it sounds as if Kara thinks ?emit? should be
?omit? and Eric wrote ?emit? deliberately because he thought that would be
a reasonable thing to do.

    -Jeff