dita-translation message

Subject: Fw: Updated Acronym Proposal posted

Forwarding Erik's response to Felix so it gets into the archives.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)
----- Forwarded by Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM on 02/01/2008 01:09 PM
-----

             Erik
             Hennum/Oakland/IB
             M                                                          To
                                       Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
             02/01/2008 12:42                                           cc
             PM                        bhertz@sdl.com, Bryan Schnabel
                                       <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>,
                                       christian.lieske@sap.com,
                                       dpooley@sdl.com,
                                       esrig-ia@esrig.com,
                                       rfletcher@sdl.com,
                                       "Howard.Schwartz"
                                       <Howard.Schwartz@trados.com>,
                                       ishida@w3.org,
                                       rmraya@maxprograms.com,
                                       tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.c
                                       om, KARA@CA.IBM.COM,
                                       ysavourel@translate.com,
                                       jogden@ptc.com, Robert D
                                       Anderson/Rochester/IBM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Updated Acronym Proposal posted
                                       (Document link: Robert D Anderson)

Hi, Felix:

Here's the approved controlled values proposal, which can define simple
enumerations but can also scale up to define hierarchical (taxonomic)
relationships between concepts:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/26359/IssueControlledValues12031.html

Yes, <glossAlt> captures an alternate term for the same meaning.

The association of a glossentry topic defining a term sense with a Wordnet
sysnset would just be a special case of linking (where the link indicates a
processable relation rather than just traversal to a new document).  So,
one way to do that would be to use a related link within the glossentry
topic, as in the following example:

... <glossentry id="usbfd">
....... <glossterm>USB flash drive</glossterm>
....... <glossdef>A small portable drive.</glossdef>
....... <glossBody> ... </glossBody>
....... <related-links>
........... <link format="html" role="other" otherrole="equivalent" href="
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=nonvolatile+storage";>
............... <linktext>Nonvolatile storage</linktext>
........... </link>
....... <related-links>
... </glossentry>

Probably there is a better URL for the synset rather than the lexical
label, but you get the idea.

Anyway, many times, the relationship won't be exact equivalence but instead
a kind-of or part-of relationship.  For that reason, I'd suggest instead
using the specialized map provided by the controlled values proposal to
specify the link:

... <subjectScheme>
....... <subjectdef format="html" navtitle="Nonvolatile storage" href="
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=nonvolatile+storage";>
........... <hasKind>
............... <subjectdef navtitle="USB flash drive" href="usbfd.dita"/>
............... references to other hyponyms of "Nonvolatile storage"
defined locally or elsewhere
........... </hasKind>
....... </subjectdef>
....... references to other hypernyms defined by WordNet, by local
glossentry topics, or elsewhere
... </subjectScheme>

In fact, it should be possible to convert the core of WordNet into a set of
DITA glossentry topics related by a DITA subjectScheme map, thus making the
WordNet sense definitions available for local processing in a DITA XML
format.

Hoping that's interesting,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com