dita-translation message

Subject: FW: [dita] RE: Impact of the Conref Best Practice

Hello Fellows --
Are any of you aware of practices within the tools like SDL and Idiom
that handle the grammar problems caused by conrefs? See Eric Severson's
note below. I'm not aware of anything in a "termbase" that handles this
problem. Can't see how it would.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype
www.comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Day [mailto:dond@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:18 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos
Subject: Re: [dita] RE: Impact of the Conref Best Practice

Hi, JoAnn. I'm looking at TC agenda items for today. I'm thinking that
Eric's question really belongs to the extended Translation SC list for
response. I don't see a great need to open anything up, but it would be
great if we can point to already existing practices that apply
regardless
of the XML vocabulary, and thus not have to modify our currently
approved
statement.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot

             "Severson, Eric"

             <Eric.Severson@fl

             atironssolutions.
             com>                      JoAnn Hackos

                                       <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>,

             03/30/2008 07:48          "dita@lists.oasis-open.org"

             PM                        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc
                                       "Martin, Ben"

<Ben.Martin@flatironssolutions.com>
                                       , "Earley, Jim"

<Jim.Earley@flatironssolutions.com>
                                       , "Hudson, Scott"

<Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.co
                                       m>

Subject
                                       [dita] RE: Impact of the Conref

                                       Best Practice

Good stuff. One question that just occurred to me: has anyone looked
specifically at the way "term bases" are typically used in solutions
like
SDL and Idiom?  I believe there are already recommended best practices
in
that context for solving the grammatical issues with aligning term
replacement across multiple languages.  Since DITA and conref don't
really
change that problem, it might be great to compare notes on this with the
translation vendors, and with the XLIFF/TMX/TBX standards folks, if you
haven't already.

All the best,
Eric

Eric Severson