dita-translation message

Subject: FW: The translate attribute and "partial" translations

From: steve.anderson@gmail.com [mailto:steve.anderson@gmail.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Anderson
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 11:44 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos

Hi Joann, here's my original post.

    Steve
===========

Many elements in DITA include a translate attribute. It has a value
of yes or no. We've been using it in a way similar to the filterable
attributes (platform, audience, otherprops, etc.). Before sending our
files out for translation, we remove all the content that is marked as
translate="no".

As an aside, I'm surprised that the translate attribute isn't
filterable like audience.

Anyway, translate yes/no is good for simple situations, but for more
complex situations it fails. For example, if you have a topic that is
translated into some, but not all languages (a "partial" translation),
you can't set translate="no" on it, since, in some cases, it should be
translated.

Does anyone have a good method for marking up their content for this
kind of need? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this use case.

I know there is a subcommittee devoted to localization, but I'm not
sure what their progress has been. Links to that information would be
very helpful, too.

Steve