dita-translation message

Subject: FW: [dita] [I18N] Integrating the W3C ITS locNote into DITA: Options

Dear Friends,
Based on Christian's response to the question about the use of variable
substitutions, we had a discuss at the DITA TC today that is reflected in
Eliot's note attached here.

Best Practices 21 from the W3C ITS committee references the use of
loc.note to explain to translators the purpose of the variable name
(product name and so on). We would like to use loc.note in DITA for that
purpose as well but we cannot simply refer to the its namespace.

One question we had was a how translator tools display loc.note and
whether our solution possibilities noted below would apply. No point in
adding a DITA version of loc.note if the translator tools wouldn't be
about to see the comments.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to invite any member
of the SC to join the discussion at the DITA TC to help us understand the
usefulness of loc.note

Best regards,
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD