Subject: Linking Related Issues To Considered in 1.1

These are technical issues that I think will need to be discussed when
we take the DITA spec forward from the initial submission. I'm capturing
these now while they're fresh in my mind:

1. General practice for addressing.

    The current DITA spec and/or implementations appear to be using URLs
with fragement identifiers somewhat informally (i.e., not conforming,
for example, to the XPointer spec.

    I think that DITA should limit itself to XPointer for addressing.

    Second, I'm now of the opinion that the XInclude style of address
that uses two attributes, one for the URL with no fragment ID and one
for the XPointer, is the best design and should be emulated.

2. Role names should be required to be namespaced so that applications
can formally define role names and clearly relate them to the semantics
of the role name. For simplicity and backward compatibility we can
stipulate that the existing DITA-defined role names are in the DITA
namespace.  The implication here is that DITA processors will
dereference namespace prefixes on role names in order to construct
fully-qualified role names before associating roles to semantics.

3. Make sure we've clearly defined the relationship between format= and
dynamic determination of MIME types for target resources. Format= should
be a hint that augments whatever might be learned from the MIME type of
the target.

4. There is a fundamental problem with links and re-use, which is that a
link to an element may need to indicate what use context the target is
intended to be resolved in terms of. I think this is an issue for DITA
and we may need to extend the link syntax to allow for indication of the
use context for a link target (for example, if the same target is
conrefed in two places, indicating which of the conrefs you want to use
when resolving the link target in a given rendition of the topics involved.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
9030 Research Blvd, #410