Subject: Meeting Minutes 6/29/2004 -- DITA Technical Committee

Meeting Minutes 6/29/2004 -- DITA Technical Committee

*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 22 June
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200406/msg00040.html

    3. Review yesterday's DITA Briefing 6 (DITA Lifecycle).

    4. Issues currently in discussion (bring everyone up to date):
        - Conref and XInclude?
        - Namespace for DITA?
        - Which version of CALS table model?
        - (segue to next item) Source the spec in DITA?

    5. Continue working on outlines for the initial specifications:
        - "Updated strawman proposal for DITA specification chunks"
          from previous discussion:
            -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200406/msg00035.html
        - Any latest guidance from Michael and JoAnne?
        - Report from Eliot on substructure conventions?
        - DITA Map for the spec documents (shall we use an
          information planning approach to devise the map and topic
          types?)

    6. AOB?

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - We have quorum.
        - As of this meeting, Mike Wethington is a full member.
        - Members:
            - Indi Liepa
            - Eliot Kimber
            - Jerry Smith
            - Stanley Doherty
            - Shawn Jordan
            - Mike Wethington
            - Paul Grosso
            - Michael Priestley
            - France Baril
            - JoAnn Hackos
            - Paul Antonov
            - Seraphim Larsen
            - Bruce Esrig
            - Bruce Sesnovich
            - Sharon Veach
            - Don Day (Chair)
        - Observers:
            - Scott Tsao
            - Wendy Hambleton
            - Eric Sirois
        - Prospective:
            - Yas Estassam

    2. Review/approve minutes from 22 June
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200406/msg00040.html
        - Minutes approved.

    3. Review yesterday's DITA Briefing 6 (DITA Lifecycle).
        - Public thanks to IBM and Intel for providing the technical
          resources (WebEx, SameTime, etc.) for facilitating the
          meetings.

        - Shawn -- Expressed his compliments to Michael and France
          for their excellent and motivating presentations.

            - Wendy agrees and especially liked the process
              flows.

        - Questions -- Don posted them to the DITA TC mailing list.

        - How to post files to the documents area of the TC list.
            - From the TC home page, go to the TC members page.
              From there, go to the "Documents" link, and submit
              your documents there.

        - Shawn -- It seems that France has the most hands-on
          experience with DITA of anybody outside of IBM.  What did
          France find difficult with DITA?
            - This implementation has been her first XML project.
              Getting up to speed with the programming was the
              hardest part.
            - Also, it was hard to get used to writing in separated,
              independent topics -- writing in a topic-based way,
              rather than just a linear way.
            - Also, it was hard to get used to the tags and find the
              best way to use them for her project.

        - Shawn -- How do you handle documentation that thas nothing
          to do with software? (DITA seems to be built especially
          for software technical documentation.)
            - Shawn is working on religious material and will be
              adapting the DITA structure.
            - France is doing something with legal documentation.
            - Thus the answer is that Yes, it can be adapted for
              these other types of information.
            - Indi -- They specialize off of topic or off of their
              own variation of topic.
            - Don -- Let's move the rest of this discussion to the
              list...

    4. Issues currently in discussion (bring everyone up to date):
        - Conref and XInclude?
            - Don -- Everyone please read the discussions in the TC
              list to get up to speed on this topic so we can make
              decisions about it.
            - Discussion ensued.
                - The bottom line -- we need to explain what we mean
                  by conref, so people don't think we mean the same
                  thing as an SGML conref.
        - Namespace for DITA?
        - Which version of CALS table model?
            - This is especially a question for the editor vendors
        - Discussion ensued about all these items...
        - (segue to next item) Source the spec in DITA?

    5. Continue working on outlines for the initial specifications:
        - "Updated strawman proposal for DITA specification chunks"
          from previous discussion:
            -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200406/msg00035.html
        - Any latest guidance from Michael and JoAnne?
        - Report from Eliot on substructure conventions?
        - DITA Map for the spec documents (shall we use an
          information planning approach to devise the map and topic
          types?)
            - Don -- Seems like we should source the specification
              itself in DITA.  Any reason not to?
                - No comments -- Don took this as approval
            - Don -- How do we create our maps (for JoAnn and
              Michael to clarify) --
                - We have a provisional outline, but Michael and
                  JoAnn need to come up with a task-based
                  methodology for actually creating a map.

    6. AOB?
        - None

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - No decisions made.

** Action Required **
---------------------
    017 Shawn Jordan -- Post to the TC list his ideas about general
        extensibility and the creation of new elements not
        necessarily descended from the Topic element.  Still open
        (not an immediate deliverable -- probably for 1.1 or 1.2
        spec.).

    021 JoAnn Hackos, Michael Priestley -- Summarize the discussion
        of substitution and post to the TC list.  Still pending as
        of 6/29/04.

    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 6/29/04.

    023 Jerry -- Post to the list regarding his group's usage of the
        OASIS OpenOffice template.  Still pending as of 6/29/04.

    024 Eliot -- Find out exactly how to entitle the subsections
        within the two specifications (as "sub specification", or as
        "Part 1, part 2, etc.", or in some other way).
            - Eliot sent email to specification support person, but
              no response back yet.  (6/29/04)
            - Also Eliot should ask if OASIS can provide any
              examples of well-written specs (in regard to content,
              not format)

    025 Michael, JoAnn -- Work together to drill down into the
        details of the TOC of the specification and report this back
        to the TC for reaction/comment.  Still pending as of
        6/29/04.

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------

    001 Bruce Esrig -- How does specialization interact with maps?

    002 Bruce Sesnovich -- How do we resolve name conflicts?  (E.g.
        two people create two different specializations off the same
        parent topic, but give them the same name).

    003 Don Day -- Let's explore tools that can make the
        specialization process easier (that is, help automate it --
        it is simple but tedious).  Maybe there are vendors who
        would be interested in working with us on this.

    004 Bruce -- We need to go beyond naming conventions, and have
        a formal syntax that captures the specialization structure.

<END>

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Sr. Technical Writer                      Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.