Subject: Re: [dita] Namespaces and Schemas: Some Initial Findings and XSLTImplications

At 14:54 2004-06-29 -0500, Eliot Kimber wrote:
>Don Day wrote:
>
>>On the transforms side, couldn't you just declare the namespace in the
>><xsl:stylesheet> element and let the otherwise un-prefixed elements and
>>attributes in the transform instance inherit the parent namespace?
>
>It doesn't appear so--at least this didn't work in my tests and if I undestand the XSLT spec correctly, it explicitly says that unqualified names *do not* match the stylesheet's root namespace but match only names in no namespace (but I could easily be wrong here).

If I understand the issue, Eliot is correct.

Considering a stylesheet such as:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns="some-namespace">
. . .
<xsl:template match="foo">
. . .

and an instance such as:

<root xmlns="some-namespace">
. . .
<foo>
. . .

The match="foo" template will not match the <foo> element.

Instead, the template would have to look more like:

<xsl:template match="ns:foo" xmlns:ns="some-namespace">
. . .

(where the namespace declaration could be omitted from the template if
it is already in scoped--such as by having it on the xsl:stylesheet tag).

paul