Subject: [dita] Normative DTD and Schema

I disagree with Eliot:

It seems to me that either the DTD should be normative
(probably for 1.0) and the schema version generated
programmatically, or the reverse: make the schema
normative and generate the DTD programmatically. That keeps
all tool users happy, since you can use either, and both are
"published" at the same time.

This does not make both normative, however. This makes one normative
and the other a generated artifact.

Anything else gets us into trying to keep them in sync as this
changes and what raises the specter of what we do if they disagree.

There are good tools out there to take one and produce the
other. (TRANG is nice.) As long as both always come out together...

--Debbie
Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre               mailto:dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9633
   Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML