Subject: RE: [dita] Recommendations for "page break" requests?

You don't want to valid them.  They are post-validation overrides.

> - if you want to tweak processing of some element, what you do? Insert
> PI before, after, or inside?

None of the above.  They are part of the processing of an element.
They are an override orthogonal to element content.  For example,
you want to force a line break or page break between two characters
in character content having nothing to do with element structure.

> Processing attribute in such case is much
> more intuitive, at least with XSLT
> - using attribute or element is easier from the authoring perspective:
> you can define element specialization and enumeration for the value of
> such attribute.

You don't want such control over one-off processing exceptions.
The whole point of these things is that they aren't part of
the information structure--they are "for no good reason, but
I just want to force a break here" things that should not have
the force of elements.

> So let us at least consider alternative approach: having special
> attribute and/or element, with no well-defined semantics, which should
> be ignored by default.

I agree that would work, and I could live with that, but I don't
agree that this is better than PIs.

paul