Subject: Re: [dita] Containers for steps and other elements!?

You've posed an interesting question, France.

<steps>
&mygroup1;
<step>Hide</step>
</steps>

However, this level of containment reflects reuse based on a virtual storage artifact outside of the DITA architecture (and specific to DTDs). Rather than calling on DITA to solve this problem, this might be a particular use-case for using XInclude or XLink outside of the DITA architecture itself.

But to argue against myself here, I would also suggest that in a truly componentized view of the steps, "Run" and "Jump" would each be independent and would be referenced individually rather than as a set, meaning that the solution might lie in how you refactor the problem.

<steps id="run-jump-hide">
<step conref="runstep"/>
<step conref="jumpstep"/>
<step id="hidestep">Hide</step> <!-- Hide is separately reusable elsewhere -->
</steps>

In this scenario, the first two steps are now reusable individually or in different sequences without having to create new definitions for the alternate appearances. And its containing <steps> can be reused wherever this particular sequence happens to repeat.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee